Well, to start with, I know that my blog name definitely needs to have ‘freelance’ or ‘freelancer’ in it for obvious reasons. I am trying to keep it specific to the Indian audience, so I may want to keep ‘India’ too within the name.
These are my starting thoughts. Let’s see what I finally arrive at after scanning and drilling through the resources that I have at hand. Mind you, I am not a SEO expert with an array of paid tools at my disposal. But having been into online marketing for the last few years, I would like to believe I have gained enough knowledge to work my way around!
Some of the resources that I am looking into include:
Lean Domain Search seems quite good..very free tools actually deliver what they promise. But have been able to shortlist a few names.
Some of the names that I think I might want to explore further are- FreelancingHub, FreelancingSocial, Freelancing Club, FreelancingMagic, FreelancingBuddy, FreelancingFit, FreelancingWiz
Freelancing Wiz….that’s Interesting! Wiz – a person of amazing skill or accomplishment – a perfect fit for the audience I wish to target. The domain name, www.freelancingwiz.com, is available (I checked for .com on GoDaddy) and the name’s available for Twitter and Facebook too! In fact, I’ve gone ahead and bought my domain name from GoDaddy as I liked their offer. You can check out the options available from other top players too like NameCheap, Hostgator or 1 and 1.
Choosing my blog name was easy because I already had a clear picture in mind that it will definitely have ‘freelancing, freelancer or freelance’ in it. All I needed to find was a word that would fit with it perfectly and give a fair idea to my readers about what the blog stands for and the kind of content they can expect out of it.
Keep these pointers handy while selecting a name for your blog:
- Your starting point should be the niche you wish to target – see if you can include a word or keyword phrase that your audience will be searching for.
- Understand your audience well – the name that you choose should resonate with your target audience and sound relevant to them.
- Check out the names that your top competitors are using – this should give you quite a few good ideas that you can further brainstorm on.
- Take Suggestion from your friends or family – It’s always good to have a sounding board for bouncing back and forth on one’s ideas…someone who can add a new perspective to what’s going on in your head!
- Availability of the name on top Social Media sites – You definitely don’t want to have different names on top social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and G+. That’s a big NO! So do check the availability of your name on these platforms before making a final decision.
- Leave Room for Expansion – This is precisely the reason why I didn’t include India in my Blog name as planned earlier. What if I want to grow my audience base to include freelancers from across the globe? A name like ‘Freelancing In India’ or ‘Indian Freelancer’ would become quite restricting in such a case.
- Check for Trademarks – You definitely don’t want to get into any legal hassles here. So always check for trademark violations before finalizing a name for your blog (Will do a detailed blog on this once I go about the process for my blog). You can also use a service like http://www.squadhelp.com/ where you can get instant trademark checks and also run a contest to receive hundreds of catchy names from naming experts across globe.
- Buy a .com – Period!